I’m one of the lucky people who can do their job from home. And working from home means I take actual lunch breaks and cook. Here’s a favourite recipe I’ve been whipping together entirely from pantry staples. You probably have all these ingredients in your kitchen right now.
This soup is tasty and sustaining and the ultimate comfort meal served with a grilled cheese sandwich. Best of all, from the minute I walk in the kitchen until I’m sitting down to a steaming bowl of soup takes just 25 minutes (Yes, I’ve timed this!).
Let’s get started.
Add these ingredients to a medium sized pot:
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked red lentils
- 1/2 medium onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 peeled garlic cloves coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- A few grinds pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar (make sure it’s vegan!)*
- 28 oz can tomatoes (whole or diced) including their juice
Bring these ingredients to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Turn off the heat and blend the ingredients. I use an immersion blender but you can also use a standing blender, working in batches.
Once you have everything blended and back in the pot, stir in these ingredients:
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 heaping cup cooked pasta (any type – I used small shells)
- 1 cup spinach – fresh or frozen – coarsely chopped or torn
Stir everything together and taste to see if you need any salt or pepper. Enjoy!
This recipe will make four generous portions.
*Excuse me? Why would sugar not be vegan? Sometimes sugar is filtered through animal bone char to make it sparkling white. Yuck. So do a bit of research about the brands available in your store and how they are made, and pick the vegan brands. Or use unrefined sugar. In Ontario, where I am, Redpath sugar is vegan.