Perhaps the simplest but deepest wisdom is just being happy.
With my 50th birthday less than three weeks away, I decided to list 50 things that make me happy. This list is in no particular order and by no means is it complete. I’ve left off the big and obvious ones – my friends, family, job and health
|1. Learning something completely new – especially a concept or idea that forever changes the way I understand the world.|
|2. Kindness – more and more this is the trait I respect and admire and want to emulate|
|4. History. I’m fascinated by the past and how enduring and universal human nature is even as cultures, technologies and ideas change.
5. Reading poetry. Here’s my favourite poem.
|6. A great big laugh. It’s the best day when I’ve laughed until I’m in tears.|
|7. Ghost stories.
8. Snorkelling –only the sound of my own rhythmic breathing and a secret underwater kingdom before me.
|9. Foot rubs and scalp massages.|
11. Cooking and baking – it’s like magical alchemy right in my kitchen
12. Fancy soaps, especially handmade soaps
|13. Dawn – still and stirring, promising a fresh start.|
|14. Watching dancing of any type – from the ballet to the Maori haka.|
|15. Coronation Street. I’ve been watching since I was 25 years old and it’s like an old friend now.
16. Stargazing. Contemplating the universe is mind busting and humbling.
|18. The Internet, email, text etc. My father lived in Germany when I was a child and I only knew him from handwritten letters and the very rare, rushed, short phone call. How would our relationship have been if we had had Skype and email and file sharing?
19. And having said that, I love to getting real mail – handwritten addresses on a card or parcel – hooray!
|20. Cheese. I’m pretty sure it’s my favourite food.|
|21. Being naked. I’ve hate wearing clothes and only do it out of civility and for warmth.|
|22. Animals. They amaze me with their sheer variety, beauty, zenlike purpose, abilities and authenticity.|
|23. Frogs singing on a hot summer night.
25. Getting into a freshly made bed – the sheets crisp and clean. Ahhhh!